Sunday, January 17, 2010

Music in my life

Half a year passed since I was admitted to Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music, and I have learned many things since then. My instructor and my mentor as well, Dr. Hecht, has been a magnificent role model for me in achieving my goals. He taught me everything I didn't know, and he knew exactly what I was weak at, and so he progressively monitored over my growth musically during past semester.

Every Monday evening, from 7 - 9 pm, we had a studio class, in which all students of Dr. Hecht were gathered in the building's concert hall, to listen to the student's of Dr. Hecht's choice performing on the stage. We were the only audience though, and the performance itself was just an experimental one, before the students got to the real 'thing'.

Each time I was in that hall, I felt my existence as a musician. When I listened to other's playing, I said to myself," I want to be like that." Especially whenever our beloved Abigail Sin, a young music prodigy, performed in the studio class, I always went through a state of 'trance'.
The sound of her playing ravished me and when I looked at the other students who were listening to her, I could see tears.

The studio class always brought me a new impetus every week, to work harder. I wanted to be able to play the piano at the same quality. I wanted to be the one whose playing can melt the audience's heart. And when I meditated through this, I realized, that this is what music is supposed to do: to touch people's heart.

Just think about it. We are all musical creature. Proof? Well, all of us have our own heartbeat, which is often rhythmical. Other than that, hm.., how many of us, right when we are reading this blog, are 'audiating' a song in our head, subconsciously? Also, singing, whistling, these two activities are done very frequently in our life, yet we often don't realize it when we are doing these activities. That just means that music has been part of our everyday life. It rooted so deeply in ourselves that sometimes we don't even know when it rings in our head...

Well, to me, music is my passion. I was born with it, I grew with it, laughed with it, cry with it. I just don't want to abandon it. Yes, it is a hard path to tread down as a musician, but as I have said above, I want to be a musician whose playing can touch people's heart. And so my journey goes on....

If you live for music, you will always be ready for it..
-Dr. Hecht

No comments: